Turning Over the To Do List

Isaiah 40:29-31, “He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.” (NLT)

It has a prominent place on my desk.  A little note pad labeled "To Do List."  I'm a list maker, and a list checker.  It gives me great satisfaction to cross something off at the top and make a new line for another project at the bottom.

One morning this week, a morning I was very tired and overwhelmed at the list before me, God gave me the verses above.  It was a great reminder he gives us strength in our times of need. 

Then Saturday evening, I found myself curled into a ball in a world spinning out of control from a pretty nasty vertigo attack.  Its not exactly how this girl likes for God to get her attention, but sometimes I think he has to put us face down before him so we stop long enough to realize what he wants to tell us.

Earlier in the week I had focused on how he gives strength and power to the weak and helpless. Last night as I had no choice but to be still, trust.  I started thinking about the progression of trust we go through: 
  1. I can do it myself.
  2.  Would you help me with this, if you can?
  3. Please help me with this.
  4. I can't do it without you.
  5. You make all things possible.
I had spent most of the week planning my list and working it in order to get everything done.  How often do we pretend to be invincible, and forget to ask for help, or better yet, are too proud to do so?  We simply can't accomplish everything we were destined to do in our lives in our own will.  We will be weary, and worn.  We will fall in exhaustion and fail.

Where do we find strength?  By TRUSTING God.  By realizing its in his power, and not ours, that we learn to soar.

This week I will pay more attention to the "To Do List," not because its longer, or more complicated, and not because I need to see progress.  This week, I will know each check mark is another task made possible not by my hand alone.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

A True Friend

Go and Tell