God Margin

Every now and then, I get to substitute teach for our ladies at church.  In the end, God always gives me a lesson that is for me than it is for them.  Wednesday night I shared with them from Judges 7, the story of Gideon.  The Israelites were outnumbered 4 to 1 against the Midianites.  Judges 8 talks about how they looked innumerable, like a swarm of locusts. 

God promises Gideon he will hand over the Midianites to Israel.   He cuts Gideon's army from 32,000 to 10,000, telling Gideon that if he gives the Midianites over at this point, the Israelites might just think they had a hand in the win.  He cuts the army again from 10,000 down to 300.  Outnumbered 450:1 God tells Gideon they are now ready for battle.

We also talked about the space Priscilla Shirer refers to as "God Margin," the space between God's plan for our lives and what seems to be our resources to accomplish this plan.  God Margin is a very uncomfortable place for us.  We don't like God Margin, we like the feeling of knowing things we can do ourselves.

"When you are so out numbered, so unable to complete the impossible task, so in over your head you can’t see daylight if you tried, you are exactly where God wants you. He does not call us to do hard stuff, he calls us to do impossible stuff." -Priscilla Shirer

Think about this...when we limit the space God has to work in our lives, there isn't nearly as much he can do with us.  The larger the space, the greater miracles he can perform...and he does.  Space is not a sign of weakness, but a sign we have made room for God. 

We all have our 300...that battle that seems too big, to impossible to handle.  That's exactly where God wants us to be.  His power and his strength are limitless.  He takes care of our needs, often with things that are small and unexpected.

The Lord said to Gideon, "I will deliver you with the 300 men who lapped and hand the Midianites over to you."  Judges 7:7







Comments

  1. O wow I desperately needed this today. I know God is beyond good even though I for sure feel way in over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I happened by your blog today while searching for something on Priscilla Shirer's God Margins. Great post! I too am a writer. Glad I stopped by. Love to have you visit over at my place anytime. carmenhorne.com. Blessings on your ministry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace

A True Friend