Rest

Psalm 62:1-2 NIV

Truly my soul finds rest in God;
   my salvation comes from him.
 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
   he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.


Matthew 11:28
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.


I'm a busybody.  It is not my nature to sit still.  And waiting...oh...I don't do that very well either.  I've got to be doing something, always.

Today, God reminded me why the Bible is filled with all sorts of references to rest.  Because we are supposed to ACTUALLY DO IT!

Two twelve hour work days (plus mom duties) into the week, my voice was rather froggy, and my spunk withering.  No need to let a little allergy issue slow me down though.  After all, I managed to make the weekend go pretty well thanks to dramamine.  My to do list was made for days 3-5.  Even if it read like a novel, I could do it.

Then I got up today.  Not even a squeak.  No audible sound would come from my mouth.  By the time I got the kids and hubby out the door, I was fading fast.  Two hours later I had visited my local walk-in clinic and was anxiously awaiting my sinus shot to kick in.  Two hours after that...back at doctor with one of the kids.  My day was spent watching my phone blow up with calls I couldn't return if I wanted to and waiting.  At 3 p.m. I threw in the towel and took a nap (outside in my beach chair-I guess I was wishing). 

Writing was the last thing on my mind today, but as I laid there, he put a message on my heart.  "Rest my daughter.  It is good for you."

Why do we need rest?  The body requires it, to refresh and rejuvenate.  Its essential for a healthy body.  That body that is our temple remember? 

Its also essential for our spiritual health.  Think about it.  When do your best talks with God come,  those heart to heart conversations that refresh our souls and quench our thirsty spirits?  Are they during quiet, restful times or during the insane rat race?  How did Jesus pray?  It wasn't driving down the road trying to get to ball practice on time while running the grocery list in his head.  He went off alone and focused on the task at hand.

The dictionary includes "peace of mind" and "free from anxieties" in its definitions of rest.   Who couldn't use that?

I know without a doubt my God sometimes slows me down on purpose.  Today, it was waiting in a doctors office...and having to listen because I could not speak.  (I'm sure I will comments if I say I need to close my mouth more often.)  Two and a half years ago it was major surgery with six weeks of recouperation.  That time changed my relationship by allowing me clearly hear the voice of my father who loves me and speaks to me every day, when I take the time to listen. 

So in spite of my desire to go and load the washer one more time...and put away the pile on the counter, I am going to do what I was commanded to do today...rest.  Good night all!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace