Man's Plans

Proverbs 16:9
The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.

Its graduation time.  It always takes me back to that day, longer ago than I want to think about, when I was standing with my cap and gown, ready to tackle the world.  I had a plan.  Go to college.  Become a lawyer.  Fall in love and get married.  Have babies.  Life would be sweet and rosy.  I'd be the mom who had my career, kept my house spotless and be at every school function and child activity.  

I had a great opportunity to listen to our pastor share with our youth some great advice last night on seeking God's will for your life.  As he finished, I told the young lady next to me it was great advice whether you are a teenager or 40.  God doesn't stop making plans for you when you graduate.

The verse above was jotted in my notebook almost three years ago.  It was one of those times in my life where I felt God clearly tugging on my super mom heart and telling me I could not continue to work 60 hours a week, even though I had a great job that I really enjoyed, keep a clean house and be at every activity for my children.  He quickly made a path for me to make a change, and all seemed well.

The mind of man plans is way, but the LORD directs his steps.  

About this time God also made way for me to start graduate school.  It is something I had wanted to do for years, but because of our geographic location and trying to juggle life, I just had not been able to make it work.  

Little did I know it was the start of a journey that has been less about getting to a goal and more about letting God have direction of my life.  You see, I still hadn't gotten past being a control freak, and I couldn't seem to step out on faith for something when I couldn't see the other side of the bridge I was getting ready to cross.

 Last night, as I finished the last assignment in my next to last class as a grad student, I thought about this verse from Proverbs.  The past two years have not been easy.  There have been many long nights of studying after working a full time job, sick and exhausted, while trying to get a chronic health condition under control. It wasn't the way I planned for grad school to happen, but I know in my heart it is the right one.  He has ordered each and every step, and each semester has come with a miraculous 4.0, knowing without him I could not have made it through.

I've learned a lot more from grad school than textbook knowledge: 

  • Its okay to plan.  God does not expect us to sit back and wait on him to move us.  We have to take the first step.
  • Man lays plans.  God is the ultimate determiner of where we end up.
  • The path to the prize isn't always straight, but sometimes the side roads reveal some incredible wonders and a testimony that only God can provide.
  • He is ALWAYS faithful to those who place their whole trust in him.
  • Big or small, he always directs our steps.
 Father thank you for ordering my steps and for fulfilling the desires of my heart.  Thank you for carrying me through this journey and for the miraculous things you have shown me in the process.  It is through you and with you that all things are possible.

Comments

  1. Wow. love the part where you say God doesn't stop making plans after you graduate. I could apply that to so many other points in my life too, after you get a job; get married etc etc. There is always another adventure for us, and I am truly excited about where he is leading. It makes me sad when people think Christian life is boring. It's the greatest adventure ever!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace