Remembering 9/11

On the anniversary of one of the most unimaginable days in our country's history, my mind is taken to a conversation my 10-year-old son and I have had two nights this week.  Yes, two.  I didn't do a good enough job of answering his question the first time and had to go back to do some "homework."  He's a thinker who really keeps me on my toes.  As I tucked him into bed, he asked, "Mom, what are the signs of the end of the world?" So we have talked about those and how we can see so many of them happening.

Sept. 11, 2001.  I didn't have time to dwell too much on the details of what was going on around our nation.  I was responsible for 200 riverboat passengers docked in our town.  River transportation and our lock system were shut down.  Government leaders could not assure us there would be no further threats, and the dams were power sources for much of our area.  So I spent my day doing all I could do to make arrangements and take care of the needs of our extra guests. 

Finally after a physically and emotionally exhausting day, I sat down and gripped my three-year-old daughter tightly.  The events of the day were not comprehendable to her.  We had been to church to pray for our nation, and she preferred to color.  As I looked into her beautiful eyes and admired the Innocent smile, I realized I had never felt fear like that before...the fear of not knowing if we would live another day on this earth.

We still live in a world of uncertainty.  Things are happening that make us uneasy.  Right now, our government is discussing military intervention with a country across the globe.  But as I told my son, we can't live our lives in fear.  We need to stand ready, knowing God could call his children home at any time.

Revelations 22 speaks of the Jesus' return.  He promises he is coming soon.  As I also discussed with Noah, that promise was spoken about 2000 years ago.  "Soon" in God's timing, is apparently quite different than ours.  All the more reason we need to be ready.

John 16:33
I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

It can be so easy to become consumed in the world and all its problems.  Today, as we all did on 9-11-01, we need to hold to God's promise.  He overcame the world, and so will we.  We cannot live in fear of tomorrow.

If God called you home today, are you ready?  Do you have doubts, or does fear about the future get the best of you?  I would be glad to show you the peace that can come when you have Christ as your personal Savior. 



Share on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace