An amazing journey

I've tried to not let my work life spill over into my personal blog, but today I am making an exception.  Today marks my four year anniversary with the American Cancer Society.  The past four years have shaped me in so many ways.  This is not a job, its the purpose in my life to which I have been called. Here's just a few of the lessons I have learned.

  • You can't control everything.  This detailed, type A kind of girl quickly learned that when your great plans don't work, fly by the seat of your pants and pray.  Outdoor events rely more on prayer than plans!  So should the rest of our life.
  • Being up all night can be tremendously rewarding.  Those silly games at 3 a.m. have left tons of memories, and laughing during crazy ice breakers have melted a glacier's worth of stress.  Driving home at 7 a.m. while fighting to say awake have yielded some of my best heart to hearts with God.
  • Cancer doesn't discriminate by race, age, or social status.  Losing volunteers to the disease for which we stood together and fought against has been one of the hardest parts of this journey.  Seeing loved ones make a survivor lap at Relay for the first time, one of the most rewarding.
  • Birthdays are a BIG reason to celebrate!  Every birthday is a precious opportunity to enjoy another year with family and friends.  I will never take another birthday for granted or complain about the number of candles on my cake.  Bring them on!
  • When you are juggling to many balls, don't forget to ask for help.  There is always a friend nearby willing to share the load.
I want to say a special thank you to the volunteers with which I have had the privilege to serve beside during the past four years.  Your dedication to this mission never ceases to amaze me!  Through wind and rain, scorching heat or family crisis, you are there. You've given vacation days and family time to help give to others.  I'm glad to have shared the journey with each of you.


Until we are able to find the cure...here's to the fight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace

A True Friend