Living a “Why Not” Life in a “What If” World

     Boys, they have no fear.  When my son was smaller, his greatest joy was for his Daddy to throw him into the air and to catch him.  He would scream with delight, “Higher, Daddy!”.  Even now I watch him race down the hills at warp speed in front of our house on a scooter, jump the three huge steps off the porch in a single bound, play tackle football with kids twice his size. 
     Somewhere along the way into adulthood we lose that invincible feeling.  I remember going roller skating not to long ago.  As the kids whizzed past me, I teetered along, praying I didn’t take a spill.  When one of the youngsters bobbled, I felt my motherly instincts kick in as I fought the urge to put both hands out to break their fall.   There once was a time when I too made some pretty hasty tracks around a rink.  What changed?
     Fear.  A four-letter word that changes lives.  
           
            What if I lose my job?
            What if she says no?
            What if I get hurt?
            What if I'm not smart enough?
Fear keeps us living a “what if” life.   

John 16:33 (New International Version)  “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

The Bible is full of ordinary people like you and me who, feeling less than equipped for the call, are empowered to do amazing things, like David in his battle against Goliath. Its time to stop being victims of circumstance and realize the power we have behind us. If our Jesus can overcome the world, we can surely have the boldness to live out the lives he intended is to have, free of the world’s “What if” mentality. We’re missing out on amazing opportunities and great blessings our God gives us every day, saying “What if” instead of “Why Not?”

Today I am starting a journey.  For a long time, I’ve felt the calling to write a book.  Fear has held me back.

            What if I don’t have time?
            What am I supposed to write about?
            Can I really find enough to say for a whole book?
            What if I’m not that good of a writer?

A couple of Sundays ago, while getting ready for church, cleaning for company, and running on four hours of sleep, my book topic and outline, was handed to be.  I’m firmly convinced he appears to me in my greatest hour of chaos just to make sure I understand its HIM.  He does that quite often.

Boldly heading into the unknown, I covet your prayers as I live out one of the "Why Nots" in my life.  May you discover yours.

 

Comments

  1. I just read your guest post over at (in)courage and had to click on over to your blog. Congratulations on deciding to take a big leap into writing a book! May God lead you very clearly and give you joy in the writing.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can do it, you can! Keep us posted!!I'll be first in line at the book store!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace