Don't Stop Dreaming

When I started this blog I was writing about taking care of my little kids and pouring Jesus into them where I could.  Now I am looking at a high school graduate and a soon to be high schooler who can look me in the eye.  He's actually taller than me now.

How did that happen?  It seems like yesterday we were taking summers to color and play in the garden.  This summer, I've shuttled Noah to countless music gigs and helped Taylor get ready for college.

When school ended this year, we took a very much needed trip to the beach as the kids Christmas/graduation present.  I'm so thankful for that week away.  Between activities and work, our family of four rarely gets to sit together anymore, and I know in a few short weeks that time will get even harder to make happen.  That week, we laughed together, and we played together.  We had meals together.  Nighttime fishing on the dock and feeding the resident herron Henry won't be soon forgotten.  Neither will the walks on the beach with the love of my life.

Seasons of life.  They come and go so quickly.  This trip was an eye opener for my husband and I.  We spend so much time as parents pouring into our children.  Troy and I sat, staring at the beautiful water, realizing for years we have been caught in the world of raising children and providing for our family, and we had forgotten to do one thing...to keep dreaming about our future.  We have lived life day to day, not giving thought to the next season to come.

No matter how old you are, God still has plans for you.  Even though Troy and I aren't those wide eyed newlyweds ready to take on the world, God isn't finished with us yet.  No, we aren't where we thought we would be 20 plus years ago when we said, "I do."  However, it doesn't mean we should give up on dreaming.  While we know we are doing our jobs pouring into our children and preparing them to fly, there will be life beyond.  We will still be pouring into them as they become adults, but as the nest empties out, it will be time to focus on that next step in our marriage and the plans God has for us in kingdom work.

All our lives take paths we don't expect.  They rarely play out as we want them to play out.  But they always play out in the perfect God given opportunities we were meant to have.  Friends, don't stop dreaming about the future and where God wants you to be.  Don't get so caught up into today that you forget to keep your eye on what is to come.

Today I am sharing the version of the verses that prompted the title of my blog from the Message:

"I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen.
When you come looking for me, you’ll find me.  Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed.” God’s Decree.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace

A True Friend