Missing the Feast

I am following through with a commitment I made last night.  God has been all over me about putting things in my life ahead of what he calls me to do.  This blog is one of them.  There have been so many times over the past few months that he has laid a message on my heart, and I would scribble down a passage thinking I would get back to writing it "when I have time."  I should have learned by now that is a beautiful four letter phrase that lives in a fairyland.  The point is, there are several scraps of paper, and several more draft posts that got started and haven't been finished.

Our ladies class on Wednesday night at church has hit home so many times.  Last night's lesson was from Luke 14.  It was the story of the great banquet.  Many guests were invited, and many gave excuses as to why the could not come.  One had bought a piece of land and needed to go see it.  One had bought oxen and needed to try them out.  One had gotten married.

The man ordered his servant to go into the streets of the city and to invite the poor, the crippled, the lame and the blind.  He sent him out a second time until the house was filled.

Excuses.  Putting off the calling God places on our heart.  I'm guilty as charged.  How many times have I put the pen aside to do laundry, watch a TV show, or catch up on Facebook?  I've let canning tomatoes stop the progress of a blog, and the desire for a Sunday afternoon nap.

It's not just the blog.  There have been plenty of other things he has placed on my heart to take care of...like calling that friend who needs encouragement, taking a meal to the couple at church who have had health issues, spending time with him each morning to prepare myself to handle the warfare of the day.

My excuses are as petty as the ones here in this chapter.  As I sat listening last night, I jotted down this thought: 

Stop and do God's work when he calls us to do it.  Don't put it off for another time.  He calls us for such a time as this. 

God places the call on each of our hearts to do kingdom work.  When we have the "I'll do it later" philosophy, it seems to never get done.  The call is likely not often convenient, but we truly miss out when we let our priorities keep us from doing his.  I pray that I can be more sensitive to the call, and to make it a priority. 

Twenty minutes, fastest blog ever.  Now off to get ready for work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace

A True Friend