Taking Prayer to the Next Level

I apologize for the delay in blogging.  I've had a sinus infection that has just zapped the life out of me.  There hasn't been a moment that I've had free the last week and a half that I didn't want to crawl into the bed and sleep.  God has kept this passage on my heart for the time when I was ready to sit down and share it with you.

Ephesians 3:20-21

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Prayer.  What an awesome tool.  I can't imagine going through life without that communication line to my heavenly father. I know each of us have seen amazing things happen because of prayer, I certainly have.  This week in all that down time I've taken, I've been thinking about the greater things we miss out on because of a prayer life that's not as full as it should be.

We don't ask for things because we don't truly believe they will happen.  


How many times have we prayed for the "big things" in life and asked for them half-heartedly?   I know I sure have.  I've prayed for job opportunities I never had enough confidence to believe I could get.  I've prayed for God to work in areas, all while letting Satan tell me that its impossible and listening closely enough to him to believe it.  I've took my eyes off what's important and let the world and all its chaos take control.  This verse from Ephesians clearly says God can provide not only what we ask, but immeasurably more! 

We don't ask for things because we don't feel worthy of the gift.
How many times have we decided not to pray for something because it felt selfish, or because we didn't think we "deserved" it?  God did not send his son into this world for a group of people who were worthy of him.  He loves us and wants whats best for us.  Jeremiah 29:11 clearly tells that.  Not one of us deserves to be called his children, and we could never be "good" enough for his generosity.  That's the beauty of grace.

We think some things are just too trivial to pray about.
God sees all we do.  He knows our every thought, and our every need.  Never, ever be afraid to ask for things that seem small or trivial.  Those things we view as "small" may just very well be a step in  a bigger plan.

This week, my daughter attended her first school dance.  Money has been tight around our house, and I've been praying earnestly for God's financial provision.  A dress for a two hour dance didn't make the top of the budget list, and yet I knew how important it was for her.  So I prayed, "God, please provide an affordable option for my daughter."  Amazingly, the perfect dress was found within our budget.  Shoes too. God's provision has repeatedly come to our family the past few months in small bites, not with a large check to help provide the security I desire.


Small steps, holding on to the hand of our father, are the truest representation of the trust we should have in him.  Just because you don't see a world changing miracle in your life does not mean he's not at work.  Perhaps we are taking for granted the miracles he's giving us every day.

We don't ask, because we are afraid the answer will be no, or not now. 

Maybe we're afraid to get a "yes." I've done that too.  Recently, in fact.  Answering the call to take on something of which I had no experience and felt quite awkward, I prayed for God, knowing in my heart he was telling me to do it, to tell me it was okay to say no.  Instead he quickly reminded me of the path he had chosen and that he would provide what I needed along the way.  It wasn't the answer I was looking for, but it was reassurance he provides when we pray.  It's not been easy, but it certainly has been rewarding.  The results are far greater than I ever expected. 

This list could go on and on....not spending enough time in prayer, not making dedicated time for prayer, sending up only "hoop shot, hail Mary" prayers haphazardly....

The point is, we have an amazing line of communication with the creator of the universe, who knows everything about us.  He loves us, and he wants what is best for us.  Prayer will not create the perfect life according to the world's standards, but it will create a perfectly peaceful life as we trust God with each and every detail of our daily walk and believe he will take care of us along the way.




  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace