The Gift of Song


I have my alarm set to a contemporary Christian station.  A few weeks ago, God woke me with these words from Colton Dixon's song "You Are"

If I had no voice,
If I had no tongue,
I would dance for you like the rising sun.
And when that day comes and I see your face.
I will shout your endless glorious praise.


I've been a part of a church choir for many years.  As I sing, its my shout to God for his amazing grace, provision and mercy on my life.  Its as much of a ministry and a blessing to my heart to stand and sing as I hope it is to those who hear it.

In July of 2011, I had a very minor ear surgery.  The procedure, simple, performed in office, was the greatest thing in the world for the dizziness and constant pain I had been facing.  I never expected something so simple to literally change my life.  As soon as the procedure was finished, I could tell sounds I heard all my life were very different. The doctor assured me it would level out in the coming few days.

A lot of it did.  One area did not, however.  After singing for many years, all of a sudden I could no longer hear my voice in a group when I sang.  I could not hear the notes I should be singing.  Not knowing if I was singing solo off tune in the midst of a group performance made me anxious, and for a while I gave it up.  It left a hole deeper than I realized.

If I had no voice,
If I had no tongue,
I would dance for you like the rising sun.
And when that day comes and I see your face.
I will shout your endless glorious praise.


Those words pounded deeply into my soul.  Even without my voice, I can still praise my Savior.

Thankfully, after almost a year and a half, I've "trained" my ear to hear some of the things I need to be able to sing again.  Its challenging, and there are lots of days I still sing by remembering what its supposed to sound like.

Even the most simple things bring important lessons.

First of all we are never to take the gifts God gives us for granted.  Use the talents he gives you!  As he told Jeremiah when he called him to be a great speaker, he equipped us for the task he gives us, no matter how terrified and inadequate we feel we are. 

I also learned if you don't hear what you need to hear...listen harder.  We don't always get the answers we need as a shout of thunder.  Sometimes we have to diligently listen for the whisper.

Often it takes more work than we realize to accomplish what he calls us to do...in that case, train harder for the task. 

Finally, remember when times are hard, lean on what you've stored away in your heart.  Those words given to us in the Bible are made for times when you need extra encouragement.  Store scripture away inside your heart so when you find yourself struggling, you'll have just the right verse to carry you through.

Our family is preparing to sing together for the first time next week.  I have looked forward to the day for many years when I could raise my voice in worship with my husband, daughter and son. I am so thankful for that second chance.

I stand in awe of a God who hears and sees everything.  I'll never again take that for granted.

  • Colton Dixon

    You Are

    Colton Dixon

    from the album You Are - Single
    When I can't find the words
    To say how much it hurts
    You are the healing in my heart
    When all that I can see are broken memories
    You are the light that's in the dark

    (Chorus)
    You are the song,
    You are the song I'm singing
    You are the air,
    You are the air I'm breathing
    You are the hope,
    You are the hope I needed
    You are

    And when my circumstance leaves me with empty hands
    You are the provider of my needs
    When all my dirtiness has left me helpless
    You are the rain that washes me

    Chorus (x2)

    If I had no voice,
    If I had no tongue,
    I would dance for you like the rising sun.
    And when that day comes and I see your face.
    I will shout your endless glorious praise.
    (x2)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

On a Very Personal Note-Perfect Peace