Running

My all time favorite movie is Forrest Gump.  I can't tell you how many times I have watched that movie, and each time I catch something embedded in the scenes that reaches deep into my soul. 

Lately I've been thinking about Forrest and his running.  Forrest ran as a child to escape the taunting of his classmates.  Ironically, that ability to use a skill gained from a not so good situation gave him the college education he otherwise would not have been able to get.  His running saved his life during the Vietnam War.

Then there was the scene where he "just started running", traveling across the country.  Why did he run?  The movie never explains out loud his reasons for running.  Maybe it was to escape the pain from Jenny.  Maybe it was the way he knew how to let go of the hurt.  I've heard runners talk about running to relieve stress and to clear their head.  The reason he ran may not be as important as the message of what happened along the way.

Forrest meets people as he runs.  He helps a struggling t-shirt artist and creates a renowned bumper sticker.  He motivates a gaggle of followers and creates national media attention on his journey. 

I've felt a bit like Forrest lately.  Running...feet to the pavement, eyes seeking a destination not yet in site. Running to run, and not really knowing why.  Running from things I'd rather not be facing, running in hopes of finding that place of peace in my life where I am meant to be.  Head down, feet to the pavement, I've gritted my teeth and buckled down to get to the top of that next mountain.  I can do it!  I can make it! 

Through a gentle, small voice, God reminded me its not about the destination, its about the journey.  We know the victory line is ahead.  The race course may take us up hills and through valleys.  It may take us through bitter cold and scorching hot.

We may not know the course set before us, and we sometimes get mighty weary along the way.  However we can't forget that along the journey we're meant to play a vital part in this world, and when we get so engrossed in getting to the finish line that we forget that, we lose the purpose for the race in the first place.  The race of life isn't about how your finish, its about the impact you make as you run...motivator, supporter or trainer.  Furthermore, we need not forget to allow others the same opportunity to impact our lives along the way.

My friends, I would welcome the opportunity to pray with you about things you are facing in your race.  Feel free to message me at taylorandnoahsmom@yahoo.com.

Hebrews 12:12  New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling for Less

A True Friend

Go and Tell